1 ½ cups whole milk
1 ½ cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
½ cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Nirmala’s Kitchen Matcha Green Tea Powder
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until small bubbles appear. Immediately remove from heat and set aside. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and gradually whisk in the sugar and salt. Continue whisking for 3 minutes. Temper the eggs to prevent scalding them by slowly whisking in a few tablespoons of the warm milk and cream mixture. Continue to pour in the remaining milk and cream mixture while continuously whisking, making sure that no lumps form.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently. As soon as the mixture thickens (it should coat the back of a spoon), about 10 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the matcha with ¼ cup hot water until dissolved, then pour it into the custard, whisking to combine. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the custard mixture into an ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into an airtight container and freeze until set, about 2 + ½ to 3 hours. Remove from the container and cut into 3-inch pieces. Place in a food processor and process until smooth. Return to airtight container and freeze again. Repeat the freezing and chopping process 2 to 3 times until a smooth consistency is reached.
Make ahead tip: The ice cream can be made up to a week ahead, and frozen in an airtight container.
Recipe and image courtesy of In Nirmala’s Kitchen- http://www.nirmalaskitchen.com/books/in-nirmalas-kitchen/#photos