- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Put the lamb in a large bowl with the masala, cumin and toss to coat the lamb in the spices.
- In a large heavy bottom oven proof pan (make sure the pan has a tight-fitting lid) heat 1 tbsp of the ghee over medium heat, add the lamb in batches and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until browned all over, adding a little more ghee if necessary. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining ghee, onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and pale golden.
- Add the rice and yogurt, stir together and cook for 1 minute. Add the pieces of lamb, tucking them under the rice.
- Add the saffron to the warm stock and carefully pour in. Cover with tight-fitting lid and transfer to oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest covered for 5 minutes, season with salt to taste and serve immediately.