Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 medium firm heirloom tomatoes (2–3 pounds)
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive, plus more for brushing tomatoes
- Sea salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa (see Nirmala’s Kitchen South American Quinoa)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice off the bottom of each tomato so it sits flat. Using a knife, cut around the bottom center of each tomato to form a cone that can easily be removed once the tomato is baked. Place the tomatoes stem side up in a pie dish, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast in oven just to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly, then spoon out and discard the centers to make room for cooked quinoa.
- In a medium pan, heat 3 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cooked quinoa, cilantro, and chives, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the quinoa into the tomatoes and serve warm or at room temperature.